Laura Jackson Roberts is a freelance writer living in Wheeling, West Virginia. She’s first and foremost a humorist, writing both essays and satire. She takes an interest in the voices of the creatures around us and feels very strongly about the ecological future of her home state of West Virginia.
Laura regularly writes both features and humor for Weelunk, a Wheeling-based magazine. She also works with local organizations including Oglebay Institute, a Wheeling-based nonprofit dedicated to the arts and nature in West Virginia. Additionally, she writes for the Children’s Museum of the Ohio Valley and Oglebay Park.
Laura sits on the Wheeling Arts Commission and serves as the northern panhandle representative for West Virginia Writers, Inc. She also serves as a leader of Ohio Valley Writers and spent two years as an editor for Literary Mama Magazine. Laura has a finished book of humor and is currently searching for a publisher. She cites David Sedaris, Mary Roach, and Bill Bryson as influencing authors.
Laura is the seventh generation of her family to live in Wheeling, where she attended The Linsly School. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies from Eckerd College and a Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Chatham University with a concentration in nature writing. When she’s not writing, Laura is outdoors with her family. She enjoys hiking, fishing, skiing, and the mountains of West Virginia. She lives with her husband, Shawn, and their young two boys and plans to move to the wilds of Pendleton County in the future.
- Most Innovative Thesis, Chatham University MFA Program, 2016
- Honorable Mention, West Virginia Writers competition, Humor Category, 2016
- Third Place, West Virginia Writers competition, Humor Category, 2016
- First Place, West Virginia Writers competition, Humor Category, 2016
- Second Place, West Virginia Writers competition, Pearl S. Buck Award for Writing for Social Change Category, 2017
- Honorable Mention, West Virginia Writers competition, Nonfiction Category, 2017
- First Place, West Virginia Writers competition, Nonfiction Category, 2017
- Second Place, West Virginia Writers competition, Humor Category, 2018
Find her on Twitter! @LauraJ_Roberts